You must have heard a lot about the beauty of the Andaman and Nicobar islands a lot! It is one place that actually lives up to the expectations. It is a group of islands that is located at the juncture of the Bay of Bengal and Andaman Sea. It is separated from Thailand and Myanmar by the Andaman Sea. It’s capital is Port Blair, which is also a must visit if you are planning a trip to the Andaman and Nicobar islands with your friends or family. There are also aborigines still inhabiting places in the islands. It is home to the Sentinelese people, who are still uncontacted from the world.
If you are having trouble finding right sources for your travel to Andamans, this article will help you sort your doubts! There is no need for a passport to travel to the Andamans, since it is a part of India. If only you want to visit tribal areas, a specific permission with details of your visit is required.
You should know that there are not any direct trains or flights to Port Blair from India. Regular flights to Andamans are available from Kolkata and Chennai. You can book airline tickets online with great offers. Two major domestic aircraft operators that offer flight services to Port Blair from Chennai and Hyderabad are the Jet airways and Air India. Besides, Air Deccan and Air Sahara also provide regular flight services from Chennai and Delhi to Port Blair.
You can also travel by ship to the Andamans. You can board them from Chennai, Kolkata and Vizag. Currently there are two ships from Chennai: MV Nancowry and MV Swarajdweep and from Kolkata: MV Nicobar and MV Akbar. MV Harshavardhan however offers services from both Chennai and Kolkata ports.
If you are wondering which places you should definitely not miss visiting once you are there, I have a list for you to make it more convenient!
- Havelock Island: This island is known for its dive sites and beaches, with all the beautiful coral reefs. Its forested interior is home to birdlife that are quite difficult to find elsewhere.
- Radhanagar beach: It is a beautiful beach with very clear water. This place is definitely a heart stealer. The white sand and lush vegetation is magnificent to watch. You should not miss the sunset here.
- Mount Harriet National Park: If you are looking for a quite as well as serene place to spend quality time with your loved ones, this is your go-to place. It is the highest point in South Andamans. It is a paradise for nature lovers.
- Cellular Jail: This jail has a history that goes back to 18th century. This was home to hundreds of freedom fighters who went through a lot of struggle in India’s freedom movement. You can also stay for the sound and light show that happens there.
- Elephant beach: It is one of the most famous tourist destinations in the Andamans. You can try water activities here too.